Friday, April 10, 2020

The Saddest Day

As many of my friends and all of my family know, I grew up in the fire service. From the time I was old enough to walk, I spent countless hours in the fire house, learning about the big red trucks, the piles of hose, nozzles, air packs, turnout gear and the various and sundry tools necessary to perform as a firefighter. I knew from the first time I ever went there that one day I would be on the job.

I grew up in a small town in Upstate NY, where the fire department was the hub of the community and all the services were provided by volunteers. Invariably, one of my uneducated friends will offer up that it is a shame that we couldn't afford "professional" fire protection. Let me set the record straight right now. Being paid to be a firefighter does not make you a professional, nor does serving as a volunteer make you an amateur. Regardless of your pay status, if you are in the firefighting business, you had best be a professional, because if you aren't, you will be tomorrow's statistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment